Using Ushahidi for Collecting School Data

I have deployed ushahidi in order to collect location of all the schools in Kathmandu. The deployment can be found at mapmyschool.net. I have taken a few days to explore the customization options in Ushahidi and i think i am familiar with almost all options. I would like to make some more changes to my deployment and am ready to dive into coding if necessary. I am familiar with Php, Javascript  and SQl though only at the basic level. I am ready to learn more advanced concepts if necessary. Here is what i would love to change with my deployment.

1. I would like to change all the text that says “Submit a Report” to “Map My School” including the button and the form.

2. I don’t know if this is possible but i would like to allow users to switch between maps. For areas that have been already mapped i would like to allow them to use OSM maps. There are some areas that haven’t been mapped and a satellite imagery would be good for referencing. In such cases i would like to allow them to use bing satellite image.

3. I am ok with the default form but i would like to change the label “Report Title” to “School Name” and make the contact info fields compulsory.

4. Currently for the categories i have School, Colleges, Private and Government. Schools have sub categories pre primary, primary, secondary, higher secondary. What i would like to do if possible is have Private and Government as  parent and have school and colleges as their child.

I would like to make these four changes immediately for the deployment i have made.In the longer term, i would love to understand how the whole ushahidi works and also contribute to the development of ushahidi. I would love to get some pointers regarding how i am to make the changes i mentioned and also regarding how to begin my journey learning ushahidi.

Regards and Thank you

With some help from a friend and with some CSS i was able to change the way default form was displayed.

1. I would like to change all the text that says “Submit a Report” to “Map My School” including the button and the form.

For this i just had to go to application/i18n/en_US/ui_main.php and then it was a matter of just finding and replacing the string.

1. I am ok with the default form but i would like to change the label “Report Title” to “School Name” and make the contact info fields compulsory.

To make the contact info fields compulsory you can use CSS to hide the optional fields and then add new form elements from the admin panel. Changing the strings were done in the same way i mentioned above.

I hope to explore a bit more in the wiki and see what makes Ushahidi tick :slight_smile:

Thanks Nirab. Hope your deployment is going well. Please do keep in touch - https://wiki.ushahidi.com/display/WIKI/Contact+Us

Closing as this appears to be resolved.