Unable to build using ADT several errors

Hello and thank you for the awesome work.

disclaimer: I am new to android dev and I am just learning so I may be missing something, please bear with me and let me know anything.

So I downloaded the repository as a zip and imported the “core” project.

I followed all the steps in BUILDING.txt

I added the libraries needed, and I am targeting 4.2.2 at the moment (I tried various versions of 4.xx)

I get the following errors:

In styles:

Description Resource Path Location Type

error: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name ‘Theme.Sherlock’. styles.xml /Core/res/values line 16 Android AAPT Problem

error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name: attr ‘actionBarTabStyle’. styles.xml /Core/res/values line 18 Android AAPT Problem

error: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name ‘Widget.Sherlock.Light.ActionBar.TabView’. styles.xml /Core/res/values line 22 Android AAPT Problem

error: Error: No resource found that matches the given name: attr ‘selectableItemBackground’. styles.xml /Core/res/values line 17 Android AAPT Problem

In Strings:

error: Resource entry hint_total_reports is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-mk line 229 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry hint_total_reports is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values line 250 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry choose_categories is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-ko line 211 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry choose_categories is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-de line 215 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry no_reports is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values line 251 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry hint_phonenumber is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-ko line 222 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry hint_phonenumber is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-de line 226 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry hint_total_reports is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-ko line 224 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry choose_categories is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-mk line 216 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry hint_total_reports is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-de line 228 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry no_reports is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-ko line 225 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry no_reports is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-de line 229 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry hint_phonenumber is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values-mk line 227 Android AAPT Problem

error: Resource entry hint_phonenumber is already defined. strings.xml /Core/res/values line 248 Android AAPT Problem

And many other strings errors.

Finally I get:

The type android.support.v4.view.MenuItem cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files MapFragment.java /Core/src/com/ushahidi/android/app/ui/tablet line 1 Java Problem

The project was not built since its build path is incomplete. Cannot find the class file for android.support.v4.view.MenuItem. Fix the build path then try building this project Core Unknown Java Problem

I tried various things, adding different JAR files to the build path, targeting different android versions, I am unable to find a solution.

Would anyone be able to clarify the issue?

thank you very much.

could anyone help with this? Thank you!

HI Stefanonym, thanks so much for your interest in Ushahidi!  We just released a new version of the android code. would this help> http://forums.ushahidi.com/forums/topic/ushahidi-android-app-deployment-problem/

Heather

Hi Stefanonyn,

Have a look at documentation on how to build the android application on our wiki:-

https://wiki.ushahidi.com/display/WIKI/Build+The+Android+App

Angela

Hello dear Angela and Heather,

Thank you very much for your replies.

I only got Angela notification, I never received Heather’s post notification.

We had dropped this project for lack of support.

We are looking at picking this up again.

I will be in touch via this thread in case we encounter issues.

Thank you again!

Stefano